What: Minnesota Fourth Congressional District Republican Convention (CD4 GOP)
When: Saturday April 23rd, 9:00 am Registration, 10:00 AM Gavel Start, 12:00-12:30 pm Lunch, 4:00 pm Adjourn
Where: Advent Lutheran Church, 3000 Hamline Ave N, Roseville MN 55113 Map
Cost: Pre-registration $25 + $5.00 for Lunch, At the door cost $35 with no ability to request a lunch. Pre-registration ends Wednesday April 20th at 11:59 pm.
Misc: As of this posting the SPRCC Convention will be after the CD4 Convention, though if you are a St Paul BPOU delegate or alternate contact Chair Hann (email@example.com) to complain about the time and location of the SPRCC convention.
See CD4-mngop.com for more details
There are 4 levels of organizational meetings in the Republican Party of Minnesota. The first 2 levels are at the BPOU, or as some call it the Local Party Unit (our chair likes to call it a Neighborhood Party Unit) level which are the Precinct Caucuses, and BPOU Convention.
Neighborhood Party Unit
- Precinct Caucuses (February 1st)
- BPOU Convention (March 19th)
3. Fourth Congressional District Convention (April 23)
State Party Convention
4. Republic Party of Minnesota State Convention (May 13-14)
While some say you need extensive training, there is no experience necessary to be engaged at every level, though these conventions especially at the 3rd and 4th level are thick with political hobbyists, meaning people who always get elected to convention largely to hobnob and network with people. If you don’t get elected at any level as a delegate/alternate you can still attend as a guest.
What to expect at the MN 4th Congressional District Convention
- State & Federal Legislators, and Candidate Speeches
- Networking with elected leaders, candidates, affiliate groups, non-profit organizations, delegates/alternates from other areas in CD4.
- Platform Resolutions Debate (at some point it has to happen), there will be some consolidation of resolutions from all the Bpous.
- Reports from various Convention Committees: Rules, Nominations, Credentials, Constitution, Resolutions, as well as the CD4 Treasurer’s report.
- Expect a long day beginning in the morning at 9 am when registration starts and ending in the afternoon at the latest 4 pm. Though if you are thinking of being part of the St Paul Republican City Committee you’ll have to stay even later to attend that convention (seems wrong that people of St Paul can’t decide on their own when to have their convention or where).
- Endorsement of a Fourth Congressional District Candidate. So far Mikki Murray, May Lor Xiong, and Jerry Silver are running for the endorsement (click on their names to visit their website).
- Election of Fourth Congressional District Officers Chair, Deputy Chair, Vice Chairs, and Secretary for a 1 year term which ends in 2023. In the odd years these Executive Committee Officers are elected to 2 year terms. You don’t need to be a delegate or alternate to the Convention to be elected, however if you’re not a delegate or seated alternate you will not be able to vote for your candidacy (if you are a delegate or alternate you don’t have this problem).